Monday, October 17, 2011

No hay sitio

I had a meeting with Diego, the associate country director, today.  All the MAC (environment) volunteers had a while to talk with him today about site placement.  I had gotten it into my head that I wanted to go to Ancash and study around PN Huascaran, partly because it´s a new park and partly because it is an area of incredible mountains.  It turns out that I can`t go because it`s a very machista area and nobody would listen to me.  I was pretty disappointed.  Isn`t that funny?  Initially, I had wanted to go to Peru and when I got that assignment, I couldn´t imagine wanting anything more.  Then I get here and learn and form other desires that come with disappointments.  I wonder if that`s mostly an American thing or just a human impulse.  I`m usually good with appreciating the moment and what I have, I just thought it was a funny train of thought to look at.  Maybe I should start meditating in earnest.  I haven`t had much time at all to reflect, though there should be plenty of that at site.
Grant, another volunteer, talked about "savor moments" last week and how people who have them are generally happier.  Those are the moments when you stop and take everything in.  I feel pretty lucky because I seem to have those every day without really trying.  I have been a generally effortlessly happy person my whole life and it`s such a blessing. 
Anyway, it looks like maybe I`ll be placed in Junin or Pasco.  But it`s so hard to tell because Diego says I`m one of the 40% or so of the aspirantes that he hasn´t placed yet.  Some folks already know.  We don`t officially find out until Halloween, so I`ll have to be patient.  The only thing I do know is that I`ll be in the mountians, which makes me happy.  I know I'll work hard and end up loving wherever I go.

In other news, we designed and gave a lesson for the local elementary school last week.  I loved every second of it and had almost forgotten how great environmental education is.  The kids were pretty rambunctious and it was hard to hold their attention, but I think they had fun and got the basic concepts we were trying to teach.  Peruvian kids are definitely not as orderly as Americans.  But I think it will be easier when I get to site and can build relationships with them.
I bought a trompo, which is a top you spin by wrapping a string around it and flinging it.  All the little guys are experts at it and do sweet tricks.  It`s like a Peruvian yo-yo.  I´m going to practice and have kids teach me so I can ingratiate myself with them. 
I`m also practicing my charrango.  I think I need to stop playing it like a guitar, though there are some Beirut songs that sound awesome on it.  Hopefully there will be someone at site who will be willing to give me lessons.  Once I get settled, I`m going to get a cajon, which is a percussive box you sit on.  I`m going to come back and be a one-woman Rodrigo y Gabriella.  Or maybe justa gringa with cool instruments.  It will be great either way.

1 comment:

  1. new instruments! yay!

    machismo. boo.

    mountains and yo-yos! yay!

    ReplyDelete