Saturday, July 13, 2013

24 Hour Papa People

We spent a few weekends in June harvesting the potatoes we planted back in November.  It was hard work, but fun to be with the family outside for two days. 

Everyone goes out to harvest on the same weekend.  If you ever wondered what the creek where I wash my clothes looks like, there it is.



Folks cook up pachamanca right there in their chakra.  It makes a good bit of smoke to compliment the physical labor.



Papas as far as the eye can see.



Lunchtime!



Generally, the men dig out the potatoes with little picks while the women gather them up and put them in bags.  I did the men’s job the first day, felt like I had shown my mettle, and was thrilled to have the woman’s job the second.  Carrying sacks up papas up and down the hill is no joke, so go ladies.






David helped out.  Though his biggest contribution is being a cutie.
Sacks of papas and the old papa truck.




Just a couple of potato farmers.



Lunch the second day was under a tarp because it started to hail. 



Thankfully, it cleared up so the dog could get a sunbath.



Mamita is probably making some smartass remark here.



Here we are collecting.  I’m skeptical about the amount of potatoes. 



Coming down at the end of the day.



My host brothers are beasts.  Those sacks were heavy as hell.  I fell over just trying to hoist one onto their backs. 



Elena on top of a day’s work.



Family in the papa truck, looking super cute.  It looks like my host mom is doing an awesome thumbs up, but I think Carlos is just sitting behind her in a similarly colored sweater.



Some silly boys with two days of potatoes. 




I didn’t think it was possible for me to eat more potatoes, but I can see them replacing most other foods in the near future.  Noodle soup?  Potato soup.  Carrot sticks?  French fries.  Juice?  Potato puree.  I’ll probably be brushing my teeth with mashed potatoes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment