Sunday, August 4, 2013

Vertical Garden



For the past several weeks, I've been working on a vertical garden in escuela San Francisco.  It's a small school with a concrete patio, so there isn't a lot of green stuff.  We decided to spruce it up by having each kid plant a flower in a plastic bottle and hang them all around.  Planting plants, recycling, and personal responsibility.  Bam!  

The kiddos brought a bottle and dirt and I helped them plant.



They had a great time, though they weren't super capable.  Luckily, they're cute enough for me to do anything for them.


Just look at them!  It's not even fair.



Little man, I just can't have you look at me like that.



I swear they had a good time.  You should know about Peruivan photo smiling habits by now.


Soon after, all the environment volunteers who arrived in 2012 came to visit my site and help out.


Some were very helpful, others just made it look good.



There was quite an audience.




This is the basic idea.  There are also bottles hanging from balconies.


The garden will be more impressive once the flowers have gotten a chance to fill out, so I'll share photos of the whole shebang in a month or so.  We're also planting 30 or so more with the preschoolers, so if you thought this was cute, just start bracing yourself now.  Maybe look up some photos of baby bunnies to build up your tolerance.



1 comment:

  1. Great idea to brighten up the school. And great photos. I'll be looking forward to seeing how the flowers develop -- might try the same thing in my house here in Tarapoto!

    ReplyDelete