Sunday, September 25, 2011

9/19

Today was the first real day at the Peace Corps center.  I thought my mami said she was going to pick me up and show me home.  I waited a while then ended up walking a bit with two other cooperantes, and eventually made it home.  It turns out that I have some basic life skills!  It was a 40 min or so walk and I look forward to taking it rather than riding the bus or combi. I was really proud that I can remember and be resourceful because I’ve only been in the area for two days.  I made friends with some street dogs on the way.  We also spotted some squirrel monkeys in somebody’s garden.  It was sad because they’re skinny and were clearly brought from the jungle and put there like living lawn ornaments.  But still, monkeys. 

I’m still trying to figure out the internet situation.  When I got home this evening, all of the family members except Yessica were in their rooms doing other things.  I thought it would be a good time to check my e-mail on their computer.  I had no sooner opened up gmail and saw all the folks I wanted to respond to when they all came out.  They formed a semi-circle around me like I was the TV.  That level of attention made me stop computing quickly.
There was a man waiting for the bus when we stopped to watch the monkeys.  I was walking with a girl who went to high school in Mexico and was floored by her conversation with him.  She was insightful and made jokes.  It reinforced to me that, at this point, I’m only interesting to Peruvians because of my foreignness.  I can hold a conversation in Spanish, but I have no wit and can’t express deeper thoughts and feelings very well.  I’m not very fun.  I hope my Americanness stays interesting long enough for my language skills to improve to a level where I can be more worth knowing as an individual.
I’m thinking that the food stash technique will be the way to go.  My family seems to eat little, but they’re not skinny, so I don’t know if I’m missing something or things have changed since I’ve arrived.  They have a regular lunch and they only a little something for dinner around 8.  For instance, today we had a small white roll with a tiny bit of chicken, a bunch of mayo, and a cup of coffee.  I eat it gratefully because I’m famished by then.  I bet they’d give me more food if I asked, but I suspect it would be more white rice or crackers with butter.  I’m trying to let go of my American sensibilities, but poco a poco for now.  Tomorrow, I’m going on the prowl for a bigger market and some peanut butter.  I told my mami that I would like more fruits and vegetables and this evening she came home with avocados and other fruits I’ve never seen before.  So it looks like she’s concerned about my preferences.  I don’t want to change too much about their family lifestyle, but I should be able to voice some things.  I’m trying to understand where that line is and be respectful and gracious while also ensuring I get some vitamins and poop every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment