Monday, September 26, 2011

No Nintendo

“No Nintendo” à No entiendo. 
Today was pretty great.  We were back at the Centro for training and the Associate Peace Corps Director for the environment program was there to talk with us individually.  I’ve heard mixed opinions about him.  One girl said she had a friend who told him she was interested in rain water and he put her in the desert.  Others say he’s very receptive to suggestions.  I guess I’ll just have to see.  He had read my resume and said that with my master’s program, environmental, and organic farm experience, I was perfect for a bunch of the positions he has.  I told him I was interested in learning Quechua, love the mountains, and do better in cold than hot.  He asked me about my concerns and I told him I’m working on my master’s and don’t want to have electricity and internet totally inaccessible, though it’s OK if it’s not at my site.  He wrote things down as I was talking and asked follow-up questions, so maybe he listens.  I’m pretty excited!  A rural mountainous spot with traditional culture and agriculture is just what I’ve been hoping for.  He told me that I’d likely go to the departments of Ancash or Junin.  Ancash is pretty epic with Huascaran, the highest peak in the Andes and lots of Quechua speaking towns.  I don’t know much about it, and less about Junin, but you can bet I’ll be researching as soon as I get my hands on some internet.  The director said that if he decides early which department I’ll be in, he’ll tell me. 
This is all very exciting.  Though I’m bracing myself for it to not to work out or not live up to my expectations.  There is the possibility that I’ll get placed in the desert along the coast.  Or it could be that I get to my dream community and nobody will listen to me or I can’t break into such an insular and conservative place.  We’ll see.  I’m going to remain optimistic and braced for change and work hard at whatever I get. 

After class, a bunch of us went running.  We found the Peruvian equivalent of a gated community that had beautiful trees, a wide sandy road, and big houses.  It was wonderful.  I feel bad for enjoying such an exclusive place that most Peruvians can’t enter, but it was so soso nice to not be yelled at, nearly run over, or chased by dogs.  I think we’re going to go there often.  I’m really happy to have a group to run and chat with.  It’s great to shake out our legs after sitting all day and get to know each other. 
Diego, the country director, warned me about the lack of comfort I could encounter at my site.  Being a dummy, I started going on about how I over-wintered in Idaho in a yurt in the woods and could take it.  I wonder what it will be like?  I expect cold and a potato-centric diet.  Probably loneliness.Maybe boredom.  I’ve never had to do without in my life.  I wonder what value I will take from the experience.  Is there inherent value in doing such a thing?  Billions of people are way worse off than I will be here.  I’m sure I can make it, I’m just having trouble anticipating the experience and trying to think about what I’ll get out of it.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Stasha,

    2 things:

    1) Do you see the benefit of spelling your name phonetically?

    2) I love you, and am proud of you. I've never met anyone more mindful of life. Somehow I feel like I am learning about myself just by reading about your experiences. Don't stop that beautiful brain in that beautiful head of yours.

    hugs heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh Stasia. If I taught you anything didn't I teach you not to volunteer for bad stuff? Make a note to yourself not to tell the country director you can take harsh conditions. Just saying ... love ,your momma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Stasia,
    Your Mom stopped by my desk yesterday and asked if I had been reading your blog. I confessed that life has been crazy and that I had not yet done so. Well, I couldn't wait to get up this morning and devote the time to walking through the Peruvian streets with you (sorry...can't run without a knife very close to my back, finding out just what this experience has been for you so far.

    Well, I have not been disappointed. You have such a brave soul. Me..I'd have been like....crackers and butter for dinner? You trying to kill the volunteer? But, no! Not you. Grace and dignity...all the way.

    Alright...now we just walked up a hill and I can hardly breathe. So, just know, I am in awe of you, your experience and service.

    Love you so much,
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete