Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Turn And Face The Strange


Volunteers have conversations about the bad habits we’re going to bring back to the states: expecting to get plastered at baptisms and elementary school graduations, snot rocketing all over town, throwing rocks at dogs, fear of lettuce, never showing up on time, expecting multiple carbohydrates on each plate, and a multitude of others. 

The Peace Corps has changed me a lot.  Nothing has shaken the core of my being, but some parts have been brought to the surface or calmed down.

I’m an unrepentant carnivore.  I had a bacon cheeseburger before and after Huayhuash and it was goddamn delicious.  I told my little brother about it and he didn’t believe me.  Anyone who knew me before this would be shocked at the strange animal parts I eat with gusto.  I’m looking forward to some beef heart on a stick in Huancayo this weekend.

I also care a lot less about what other people think of me and am much less self-conscious.  Being a daily object of curiosity and scrutiny will do that to you.  I also try to downplay my looks at site to minimize attention and have gotten used to being dumpy.  I feel extravagant when I put on tight jeans and eyeliner to go out with gringos.  

I’ve slowed down.  The Peace Corps has taught me a lot about moderation and doing the best I can with what I’ve got.  Failure is a constant companion.  It’s not a big deal if I can’t get out for a run one day or an event didn’t go as I planned.  My U.S. self-standards don’t apply here.

My big question now is what will stick with me?  Will I go back home in a year and a half and go back to who I was (with all the goods and bads of that)?  Will I want to be vegetarian again?  Will my self-consciousness come roaring back?  And there’s still so much time for things to change.  

Thankfully, I have a lot of say in who I want to be.  I think the PC will generally make me more awesome.  You guys can judge for yourselves next November. 

1 comment:

  1. More awesome? Not possible. (And Stasia? Thanks for keeping this up. It's been pretty great living just a little bit more, vicariously, through your experiences.)

    ReplyDelete