Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Mendigo

It seems that most PC volunteers resort to a bit of beggary in during their service, and here´s my first.

I´m putting out a request for frisbees.  I want to start an ultimate frisbee league in Carhuamayo.  It´ll start as just for girls, and expand to boys and adults if it´s successful.  Girls are often stuck at home and inactive after school because it´s not so acceptable for them to roam around and play soccer like the boys.  This frisbee league will get them active and increase their generally abysmal self-esteem.  I´m not saying the frisbee will keep them from getting pregnant at 16 and popping out babies and staying home the rest of their lives, but it can´t hurt.

Frisbees don´t really exist in Peru, and I don´t currently have the capital to order the dozen or so I´ll need to start up.

So if you have some old frisbees hanging around, send them my way.  If you do, I´ll write you a nice letter and send you some Peruvian candy.

My address is:

Anastasia Orkwiszewski, PCV
Correo Central
Provencia de Junin
Junin, Peru

Thanks for thinking about it!

1 comment:

  1. Hey,

    My wife and I are leaving for Peru in a week and a half or so, and from the beginning of the application process, regardless of the eventual assignment I received, I was always planning on starting an ultimate league (or at least regular pick-up games). I have a ton of discs I was already planning on bringing, but if you can wait a couple weeks, we'll be in Chaclacayo, and I'd be happy to pass off a few to you. I'm not sure logistically how best to accomplish this, but perhaps if I leave the discs at the PC headquarters in Lima, you'd eventually be able to get them there. Let me know what you think would work best. And who knows, after we've established ourselves in whatever community we're assigned, and I've got my team organized, maybe we can have the first trans-Peruvian ultimate game.

    Charles Romero

    ReplyDelete