Saturday, December 7, 2013

Chau chau

After some last weeks of scrambling to get cocinas mejoradas done (didn't fully succeed), saying goodbye to folks, and taking my replacement around town, it was time to leave.

On the last day, we went around to some of my favorite schools.  

Quilcacancha was first, and they did an adorable little presentation.


Then, all the kids lined up for hugs.  It was great. 

Hannah and I ambled over to San Francisco where there was a play about plants, a poetry reading, and a song.



 This little girl recited a poem that was a few minutes long.  Impressive.



They're singing "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" in Spanish.  I'm vaguely suspicious that they prepared it for another occasion.  



A teacher got up and sang a traditional Quechua song, so naturally, huayno had to be danced.

This time, instead of an orderly hug line, I was mobbed and knocked to the ground.


And it was actually pretty wonderful.


The hug line reformed, and Hannah, my replacement, got some squeezes as well.






I went home to pack up two years of a Peruvian life, play one last game of family poker, and get ready for the bus to Lima in the morning.

Everybody who was at the house came to walk Hannah and I to the bus station.  (Jenny took the picture)



There were lots of hugs and tears and I said goodbye to my wonderful second family.  I was impossibly lucky to have them and my service would'nt have happened without their kindness and hot tea to come home to every day.  

I got on the bus and had a fun few days with my Peace Corps family.  That's my third in this post, if you're counting.  We had ice cream for breakfast, haircuts, and lots of time hanging out, drinking beer, and chatting about life and how much we love each other.  We even got to see Jane Freaking Goodall speak!  








"About to see Jane Goodall" faces



Now I'm done.  I did it.  I'm in my America home.  The Peace Corps had me challenged, sad, lonely, vomiting, and occasionally murderous.  It was also full of gratefullness that I've never before experienced, friendship, and deep appreciation and joy for the smallest successes.  I've been a few places, and in every one, I've encountered an enormous amount of love that crosses backgrounds, ethnicity, and language.  I'm so lucky.




No comments:

Post a Comment