Monday, October 21, 2013

Ducky

I had some extra money in a SPA grant, and asked the directora at escuela Quilcacancha if she had any more projects she wanted to do.  She immediately said that the school has been wanting to raise ducks for the longest time to improve the quality of the kids' school lunches, but they haven't had the money for the setup.  I was thrilled by the idea: not only do I love me some ducks, but the SPA grant is designed around climate change, and local, climatically appropriate food fits in with resilience and adaptation for the community.

First, I bought them the materials they'd need to build the ducks' corral.  I can't believe it all fit on a moto.


I sent the supplies to the school, and was busy with other projects, so I couldn't help them build.  The amazing thing was they had everything set up on the day they said they would!  Incredible!

I went to the Friday market and picked up a box of 12 ducks, 10 females and 2 males, and brought them to the school.


I wanted a nice photo of me, the ducks, and the kids, but naturally this is what happened the second I opened the box.  I'm saying, "no no, don't grab their necks!" 


Realizing my mistake, I let them go in their corral.


Which is actually a sweet setup.  When they get bigger, they'll be able to wander the ample grounds that even have a stream!


Everybody was excited.






We went about cutting ichu grass for their bed, and some pre-schoolers were sent into the duck house to plug up any holes where cold drafts could get in.  






Then it was time for a drink/bath!  Hopefully, having these ducks will improve the diets of the students and teach them how to care for animals. 


They will also be super cute!




No comments:

Post a Comment