Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Feria Day


Every Friday is feria day here in Carhuamayo and it’s very exciting.  There’s lots of noise and activity in the plaza and tons of tias dressed the same way.  You could get virtually anything you would want off the street:  underwear to alpaca heads, bibles to msg. 

I bought a pressure cooker there today so I can make the lentil camote stew I’ve been dreaming about.  When I first arrived at site, I was worried about the veggie selection since we’re at an outrageous altitude.  There’s not too much around during the week, but the feria gives me everything I need so far.  I got all my veggies for the week, including some green beans and tomatoes from these lovely ladies.

There’s a great variety of new things to try.  This little girl is sitting with zapaillo, which is a giant squash.

You can get a whole new wardrobe if you want.  Though it will mostly be sweaters and wool stockings.

You can get a new pet or an animal to eat later.  Sometimes they are the same.

Medicinal plants and cure-alls are a big thing as well.  The tank at the bottom of this photo is full of toads from the lake.  At the top is a blender…  They put a live toad in the blender with algarrobina (like molasses), milk, and spices and blend it right up for you.  I’m not sure what it’s good for and I haven’t had the stomach to try it yet, but I think I have to before two years are up.  I’m happy to put it off for now.

If you’re still hungry, there’s a wide variety of fluorescent puffed snacks available by the kilo.

It’s fun to wander around and try to be a regular person around town.  Though I still get some shouts of, “gringa!” and strange looks.

This little girl is hitching a ride in her mom’s manta.  It’s a big square of cloth that ladies here tie around their shoulders to carry everything.  Babies, potatoes, and huge bunches of grass are the most popular.
And to top off the day, if you’re really lucky, there’ll be some guys singing about Jesus.
Then, you have to carry all your things home.  This is on my walk back to my house.  There´s no need for the weather channel in the pampa.

Happy feria day!

No comments:

Post a Comment