Thursday, December 1, 2011

"Shut up, guinea pig!"

It’s Thursday of my first week at site.  I’ve had some altitude issues, trouble sleeping, overwhelmedness, and loneliness, but I think that’s small time compared to some of the other arriving-at-site stories I’ve heard.  I could be having weeks of vomiting or sobbing instead.  Not to say that my feelings aren’t legit right now, it’s just nice to know that other people who seem normal and strong have had it much worse.  But I’m here and I’m going to get through this phase and I think there is a lot of good work and fun ahead of me.  It’s just that two years is daunting at times.
I’ve appreciated being able to move around so much in my early 20’s.  I’ve met a lot of wonderful people and seen such beautiful places.  But I can see myself wanting to commit to a place in the future.  One day I’ll want to set down roots and put work into a place and people for a longer period of time.  I wonder how I’ll feel after two years of exotic adventures.  Will I be ready to go find my farm after the Peace Corps?  Probably not yet, but I see it coming one day.
I have this week off because the environmental section of the municipality is gone for reasons I don’t understand.  It’s been great to relax since I was feeling crummy.  My first job was to start setting up my room, which was an empty box when I first got here.  Here it is on day one and the lovely view out my window.



I’ve constructed a little kitchen out of cinderblocks and scrap wood.  I need to buy a gas tank for the stove and do food shopping at the feria tomorrow and then it will be ready to go.  I’m excited to cook for myself, but it’ll take some strategy.  There’s no refrigeration here, though it shouldn’t be too much of an issue because it’s so cold.  I’ll bet I’d eat any lettuce before it went bad and I might have to switch to powdered milk for my coffee.  Nescafe is awful, but black Nescafe is unbearable.  It will be a new day when my french press mug finally arrives.
I made my first ever meal for myself this morning.  I boiled two eggs in my water boiler, then used that water for my Nescafe, and ate it all with a little bread.  It doesn’t sound like much, but I made it myself with what I have and protein and coffee in the morning are incredible blessings these days.
I’m almost out of money, so I’m waiting to buy a mattress and dresser until I go to Huancayo, the capital city, for our regional meeting this week and can go to my bank.  
There’s supposed to be an agent of my bank here in town, but the guy told me that their system has been down for a month and they’re getting it fixed this week.  Highly doubtful.  All of the stores will only take cash and the bank that is here doesn’t have an ATM and won’t let me take money out of my American account.  I have enough money to stop sleeping on the floor, but there’s no way I can get to it.  I have to take a four hour bus ride this weekend to make a withdrawal.  It seems like a very Peace Corps experience.
I visited the elementary school and was able to talk with the principal.  He seemed jazzed to meet me, though I don’t think he understands what I’m doing here.  Which is understandable since it’s a very undefined.  I’m already set up for a full day of teaching all the sections of sixth grade next week.  I’m excited to start teaching again regularly.
I’ve mostly been hanging out with my host family for this time.  I walk the kids to school, hang out in the kitchen, and watch the sheep with my tia.  Being rural and trapped by rainy seasons has made the kids really creative.  They can invent a game out of anything and are experts at recycled arts and crafts.  It’s inspiring.  I’ve been teaching them English and they’re teaching me Quechua words.  It was hilarious last night to have them all yelling, “shut up, guinea pig!”  They have four kittens and we gave them English and Quechua names so we can all learn.  The Quechua names are Runi and Tulu which mean stone and bone.  They asked me for Philadelphia names for the other two, so they’re Pretzel and Bell.  I’ve been having a really great time with my host family and I think I’ve lucked out big time.  I hope we’re going to build a great amistad.
I also went for a “run” (panting trot/walk) this morning.  I went up around the hill and there were folks working on their chakras along the road.  I haven’t received such bewildered looks since I ate a raw carrot in front of my family for the first time.  It was neat to see the people and I’m going to climb back up the hill this afternoon to see if I can hassle them with questions for my Peace Corps projects and thesis.  I haven’t given up on traditional agriculture yet. 
I trotted farther than I’ve gone so far and made it around to the other side of one of the big hills.  I’ve been trying to think of ways to describe what the landscape is like.  It’s kinda like being on top of waterworks hill in Missoula, only much lonelier.  There are hills and hills and mountains beyond the hills.  Or maybe it’s like the high moors of Scotland or whatever.  But I think it’s just like Junin, Peru and folks will have to come visit me if they want to know.  

1 comment: