Thursday, December 1, 2011

A Love Letter

Dear Hot Shower,
I never thought I’d meet anyone like you in Peru.  Though our time together was short, it has changed me in a way that will last at least a week.
Now, I have to admit that I’ve been around.  I’ve bathed in cold showers, buckets, rivers, and lakes, but nothing has compared to you.  I didn’t come away from it feeling dirty or cold like some of the others.  In your embrace, I felt warm, alive, and safe. 
I wish we could continue this, but we both know it couldn’t last.  I have to go work in the campo and you can’t function outside of the city.  And the fleeting nature of our affair has made it more thrilling.
So, goodbye hot shower.  There are many others who need you.  I promise I will think of you when I’m being rained on in the latrine or trying to clean myself from a plastic bucket.  And who knows, maybe our paths will cross again and it will be just as hot and magical as the first time.
Missing you,
Stasia

No comments:

Post a Comment