Thursday, March 22, 2012

De Viaje

I´m going away for Early In Service Training, then vacation at the beach in  Piura and hiking in the cloud forest of Amazonas.  It´s unlikely that I´ll be posting and I don´t know about the internet or cell service.  I just didn´t want anyone to think I got lost in the pampa or trampled by vicuñas.  


I´m so incredibly excited to go.  There´s a lot I love about my site and my family, but it´s an existence with almost constant small frustrations and you can get a little stir-crazy.  I can´t wait to see my volunteer friends, to understand all the jokes, get the band back together, go see new places, and stretch my legs.  I think it´ll be incredibly rejuvenating and I´ll come back to site ready to teach some kids and sort some recycling.  


Before I leave, I wanted to share the events of the first 10 minutes of my morning with you because they seemed impossible anywhere else but in the Peace Corps in the altipampa of Peru.


-Wake up at 6:30, see steam from my breath puffing out in front of my face.  Wish I had slept in a hat.  
-Roll back window curtain, see the awkward spectacle of alpacas mating right across the way.
-Put on boots, leave room, chase and eventually catch the chicken that had made its way upstairs.  Carry it down and toss it in the garden before going to the latrine in the yard.  


I also got a piece of meat in my lunch today that was completely mystifying.  It was mostly skin and bone with black fur on it that got into my potatoes.  Goat elbow?


Cuidate!

No comments:

Post a Comment