Thursday, October 25, 2012

Grizzled Veteran


Last week, I went down to Lima to help with Peru 20’s training.  So you know, every group is given a number and there are two groups a year.  I was Peru 18, 19 was a group of small business and youth development volunteers, and now Peru 16 (environment and water and sanitation) is leaving and being replaced with 20.  Make sense?

I’ve been here a whole year and am facing tearful goodbyes to my 16er friends and looking forward to making new friends with the 20ers.  We’ll be getting 3 new folks in the Junin region. 
I can’t believe that I’m suddenly the veteran who is all experienced and knowing things.  But I remember exactly how training felt and I’ve come a long way since then.  It was funny to field questions from the trainees and see how their anxieties were the exact same as mine at that time.  Where will I live?  Can I cook for myself?  Will I poop my pants? 

I was pretty overwhelmed, lonely, and sad during training, and also absorbing so much every day.  You’re in a tiny, turbulent bubble in the training life.  I’m so much happier now that I’m out in the world as a volunteer.  I don’t think many folks got to know me well until we had separated after training and I was able to stretch my legs, leave home behind, and be myself
The new group seems really nice, and I’m excited to get to know them better when they’re real volunteers, too.  It felt good to be able to ease their minds about things and show them how to teach children.  

I was with them while they were preparing to teach their first classes in an elementary school.  They were so worried due to a mix of lack of experience and Spanish skills and some stayed up past midnight working on their presentations.  I can’t wait to see them when they’re like me, waking up in the morning and thinking, “what’ll I teach today?”  It’s always great to get some new blood and ideas into the group.  They’ll also have beginner’s enthusiasm which will help those of us who have been here a year and are  a bit disillusioned with how things work in Peru.  

1 comment:

  1. Hey,
    Congratulations on becoming a grizzled veteran. The second year goes by really quick. My name is C.J. and I am a PCV in Senegal but looking to travel to Peru while making my way home. I am hoping to connect with some Peace Corps volunteers while in Peru do you know the best way to do this?
    Also, I have some questions about transportation like what is the best bus to take while traveling from place to place? Also, are there any site/places worth visiting that aren't in the guide books? I am looking to travel through the North of Peru and hope to see the Amazon and Maccu Picchu and maybe some hiking. Here is my email if you get the chance to answer some of my questions: cjcintas@gmail.com
    If not, all the best for the rest of your service.

    ReplyDelete