Friday, May 11, 2012

The Art of Conversation

#1

Hermano Percy:  What is googly?
Stasia: Googly?
Hermano Percy:  Yeah, you know, the search engine. 

#2

Hermano Carlos:  We need English nicknames.  What´s flaco in English?
Stasia: It means skinny.  You can be "skinny", Eber is "shorty", Percy is "curly" and since you call Elena quesa, she´ll be "cheese".
Hermano Carlos:  Great!  We´ll call you "large".

Thankfully they don´t actually call me large.  I´m a head taller than most of them, but still. 

#3

Oftentimes, people like to shout all the English they know at me at once.

Random man:  Gringa!  Hello!  My name is I love you!  I am from!  Good evening!

#4

Other times, people don´t expect me to speak Spanish because I´m white.

Stasia:  (in Spanish) Good morning sir!  Are you building a wall?  Is that adobe?
Señor: I don´t speak English. 

#5

It turns out that "ismai" is shit in Quechua.  My host mom cracks up a lot when I´m trying to teach English at home. 

Stasia:  You say, this is my soup. 
Mamita:  Wahahaha!  Ismai soup! 

#6

You know how pokemon speak by saying their name with different inflections?  I was in a car and the señora behind me did the same thing with "gringa".

Señora:  Gringa!  Gringa gringagringa griiiiiinga.  Gringa gringa?
Stasia: Um, hola.
Señora: Griiiiiiinga! 

1 comment: