Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Every Day I´m Shovelin´




We dug a micro-relleno at the health post!  They’re going to put all their medical waste inside.  It was extra incredible because I approached the doctors and was all, “Hey, a micro-relleno would be really great for the health post.”  And they were like, “Ok, let’s do it this week.”  Things are never ever that easy.  I didn’t have to argue or write several letters and project plans.  I just brought a pick and shovel over.

It’s also one of the specific things I’m supposed to be doing in Peace Corps.  Our three main areas are reforestation, environmental education, and solid waste management.  Reforestation doesn’t really apply to the pampa and I’m spending most of my time on environmental ed.  We’re supposed to dig 10 micro-rellenos as part of the waste management goal.  So I’m 10% there!  My family wants to dig one at our house as well. 

We also got the mamas from my healthy cooking class to help.  



It was nice to chat with them and some of them were really strong.  Notice some of the rocks we had to haul out of there.  I’d say I did 50% of the work, but it made me happy to do so.  When I was alone, I listened to old This American Life podcasts and dug away.  I really like that kind of work and haven’t had as much outside labor as I’d hoped in the Peace Corps.  Though it got tough on the old back to lift shovelfuls of rocks over my shoulders and out of the hole.  Maybe that explains my face in this photo.



Hooray for working together and getting things done!  

No comments:

Post a Comment