Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Sweetest Thing


Some good things have happened to me recently! 

First, we got ducks for the house!  I love ducks!  They are so much better than chickens.  I love their waddle and the little conversational ducky noises they make.  Chickens are basically mini velociraptors. 

I’ve begun work on mural and world map projects we’re doing with the summer school kids.  To start, I had to go out and paint a white base on the wall outside the school.  The only time I had to do this was a Friday, market day, which means there would be lots of people in the plaza to see the gringa doing something strange.  I walked out with a paint bucket in my hand and dread in my heart.  I expected to be stared at, heckled, criticized, and asked the same questions over and over. 

It was actually great.  I was struggling to measure my rectangle, and a lady I often buy mangos from came over to help me.  All of my students came out to visit with me during recess.  I was having a hard time getting the paint bucket open, and one of the little girls ran to get her uncle who had a nearby stall in the market, and he came to help me.  Then, I was on tiptoe struggling to paint the top of the mural, and a man I’d never met before came over and offered me a ladder.

I spend a lot of time being exasperated with and having violent fantasies about Peruvians.  It was so great to have so many kind acts fall on me at once.  It’ll shore me up for lateness to meetings and catcalls. 

I know I’ve talked about how adorable Peruvian children are.  They’re ridiculous.  The other day, I went to visit the preschool classroom to do some drawings of the lake with them.  I knocked on the door and was greeted by a little guy.  He beckoned me down like he wanted to tell me a secret, then kissed me on the ear.  I would’ve fallen over if he did it again.  
A spontaneous ear kiss from a 4 year old made my whole day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment