Monday, January 9, 2012

Fear

The dog bite last week has messed with my brains somewhat.  I bounced right back after it happened and went about my business.  But I didn't sleep well that night.  I went out the next day and had all sorts of anxiety walking around.

It's a doggie gauntlet to get anywhere around Carhuamayo.  There are a bunch that will approach and bark, but haven't done anything more aggressive.  Before, I ignored them or picked up a rock, which usually was enough to shoo them away.  Now the hair on the back of my next raises and my throat closes up.  My flight or fight response has been on a hair-trigger lately.  There are a few dogs that run right up to me and bark.  I was used to them previously but now the adrenaline fires through my body and makes me keyed up, then jiggly and weak immediately afterward.

I'm surprised that my mind has reacted in this way.  It's only been a week and my reactions are already getting less intense, so I hope it's something I can get over before too long.  Being nervous around dogs would mean living in a pretty constant state of fear here and that's not acceptable.  I haven't let my nerves keep me from going out and doing my job.  I hope that if I keep it up, my emotions will calm down.

Feelings are funny things.

1 comment:

  1. maybe you can make some shin guards? and then slowly take them off as you regain confidence.

    ReplyDelete