Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Milestones

Yesterday, a dog bit me on the back of the leg.  I was walking to the health post to propose my cooking classes, looking extra non-threatening in my PC vest and floppy sun hat with a flower on it, and these two big dogs ran up behind me and one took a shot at my leg.  It's not bad.  It was through my pants and there wasn't a lot of blood, just a big dog mouth-shaped bruise with darker spots where the canines hit.  I washed it well and am vaccinated against rabies, so no need for worries stateside.  I'm not going to stop my being nice to dogs campaign, but I'll be more cautious.  Fuck that guy.

I seem to be ticking through the traditional Peace Corps mishaps at a good pace.  I've already had a major intestinal parasite and been bitten by a dog.  I have yet to be robbed or poop my pants.  We'll see how it unfolds.

Reflecting on yesterday reinforced how little I can predict my life.  When I was beginning senior year in college, I would have looked at you sideways if you said I'd be in rural Idaho in a year.  When I was little, I wanted to live in Montana.  I couldn't tell you why.  My latest romantic relationships happened almost the moment that I stopped looking.  I'd thought about the Peace Corps on and off throughout my life, but when I got to grad school, I was sure I didn't want to do it.  Lord knows what'll happen to me, where I'll go, and who I'll meet in these next two years.  What will I want to be when I go back to Montana?  It's exciting not to know and I'm interested to find out.

The last few posts have been more serious, so to mitigate, here's a picture of David holding a potato that looks like a poop.  Hooray for cultivar biodiversity!  I'm thinking more and more of doing my master's project on family farming, resilience, and the pressures of migration and industrial agriculture.  We'll see.  This potato variety was especially delicious, despite what it looks like.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stasia! I love reading your blog! Just so you know, Ella's favorite Peace Corp story of Casey's is when the dog bit her on the butt. I'm sure she would love to see your bruise, too!

    love,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete