Monday, January 9, 2012

Pie, Pye, Pi?

I wanted to share my camote pie recipe with the wider world.  It should be almost as delicious with sweet potatoes and there's still plenty of winter left in the U.S. to enjoy it in.  It may be a year-round dish here.  And it's pretty inexpensive to cook for big groups here in Peru.

Pie de Camote

Crust:
1/2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 c veg. oil
2 tbsp milk

-place all ingredients in a pie pan
-stir with a fork
-pat mixture into bottom and sides of pan
-poke holes in crust

Filling:
2 c cooked and mashed camote/sweet potato
2 tbsp butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 c sugar
1 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c milk or buttermilk
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
spices to taste (I a use a couple of tsp of cinnamon because that's all I can find here.  I bet nutmeg and especially ginger would be wonderful)

-preheat oven to 350
-mix mashed camote, butter, eggs
-mix sugar, flour, salt, and spices in a separate bowl.  add to camote mix and stir well
-mix milk and baking soda.  add to camote mix and stir well
-mix in vanilla extract
-put in pie crust
-bake 40 min or until set in center

This recipe was good campo style and I'm sure it'll be even better if you have real measuring tools and an oven.

In further food adventures, look at all these jungle fruits!


For every other one, I had to ask, "Que es esto?"  The ladies running the tiendas were very patient and would usually offer a slice of whatever I was asking about.  This is a great business tactic to use on me because they're all so delicious.  I ended up with an anona, one of the spiky yellow ones in the back center.  They're like cream inside with big black seeds.  I also got a zapito, which looks like a giant acorn, but didn't get to try it because my family ate it.  I hear it's good though.

One of the highlights of my Sunday was this 4 sol lunch of ceviche.  Ceviche is fish that is "cooked" with lime juice.  The acid performs the same action on the protein as heat.  It's served with camote, seaweed, cancha, maracuya juice, and "leche de tigre" which is all the salty fishy juice that comes from making the fish.  It was so delicious and it's always a success when a 4 sol meal doesn't make you sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment