Sunday, September 29, 2013

Trienta de Agosto

My town has a big fiesta from the 28th of August to the 3rd of September to celebrate Santa Rosa de Lima, or Saint Rose of Lima.  There are 11 guys called Mayordomos who are in charge of the party that year.  They hire the bands, organize dance troupes, and cook enough food to invite the whole town over between all of them. 

It all starts with the pishtapacuy at the Mayordomos’ houses where animals are slaughtered in preparation for the hordes that will descend as the fiesta gets going.  Thankfully, I’ve been able to busy myself with other things on that day.  Afterwards, there are many days of dancing huayno, eating meat, and public drunkenness.  It’s pretty fun for a little while.  I like to go check out the dancing in the plaza in the middle of the day, before people are too rambunctious, then hide in my house outside of town when things get going at night. 

The first day of dancing was for all the schoolkids.  It was pretty freaking cute.

I took this video walking down the street where all the groups were cueing to dance.  




You’ll notice how I ignored the jackass high school students shouting the only English they know in my direction.  Hilarious every time, you guys.  Also, it was 4pm. 

Here are all the mamalitas waiting for the show to start.  I love how they all have a buddy to talk to.




It was crowded.




Sometimes it’s awesome to be a giant among mere mortals.  I’ll never get such a good view at parades or concerts when I go back to the states.




Here’s David looking super cute and ready to be part of the parade. 




It was super cold, so I went to get an emoliente, which is a hot tea like drink made with the stuff from all those colored bottles. 




The brownish one is flaxseed extract, which makes it thick, the green one is alfalfa, the red is a medicinal herb, light green is lime juice, and you’ve got me on the orange bottle.  The lady mixes it all up with hot water and honey and it’s just the ticket when the umbles of hypothermia start to set in.




Refreshed, I went and found some of my students.






I have no explanation for this.




Or this.




Day two was for parading around the idol of Santa Rosa de Lima. 



The next day of dancing was for all the Mayordomos’ dance troupes to compete.  Each group had hired a band, and they all played and danced right next to each other in the plaza, creating a competing saxophone ruckus you wouldn’t believe.

No really, can we talk about the number of saxophones?  



No comments:

Post a Comment